Teens overdose on prescription drug at Tower Lakes house party

by Long Hwa-shu

Five teenagers were found to have been overdosing on the prescription medicine Xanax at a party Saturday night at a private home in Tower Lakes.

Lake County Sheriff’s deputies rushed to the home in the 200 block of Stonehenge Lane at 12:17 a.m. after being alerted that a 16-year-old girl had become unconscious and not breathing, according to Sgt. Sara Balmes.

The home owners were aware of the party which began around 6:30 p.m. Friday. However, they told police that they did not know the party-goers were consuming alcohol or drugs. – LCSO

Deputies, however, found the girl breathing but that she and several other teenagers had overdosed on Xanax, a prescription drug that treats anxiety and panic disorders. They had also consumed alcohol.

The five teenagers from the party were transported to Advocate Good Shepherd Hospital for treatment, said Sgt. Balmes. Another two went home where they were monitored by their parents. All have since fully recovered, she added.

According to Balmes, the home owners were aware of the party which began around 6:30 p.m. Friday. However, they told police that they did not know the party-goers were consuming alcohol or drugs. The home owners were not charged with any offense, Balmes said. The Xanax belonged to one of the teenagers who had been prescribed the drug two years ago.

In all, there were 10 teenagers, seven girls and three boys, at the party. They range in ages from 15 to 17.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *