The Highland Park Police Department is investigating a suspicious incident where two school children that were walking home from Red Oak School together near the intersection of Old Briar and Ridge roads observed a black BMW X3 pull over next to them earlier this week.
The driver of the vehicle asked the students to get in his car to help find Andrew. The students declined and continued walking home. The vehicle left, traveling northbound on Ridge Road. – Highland Park Police
The driver of the vehicle reportedly asked the children if they could help him find “Andrew” and showed them an ID card that contained a photo. Neither of the juveniles recognized the person in the photo.
The driver of the vehicle asked the students to get in his car to help find Andrew. The students declined and continued walking home. The vehicle left, traveling northbound on Ridge Road.
During this incident the subject driving the car did not exit his vehicle or make any threats to the students. The incident occurred on Tuesday, Nov. 1 at approximately 3:40 p.m.
The subject driving the BMW is described as an adult white male in his early 40’s, with brownish/blonde medium length hair, wearing black sunglasses and a short sleeve turquoise shirt. The witnesses were unable to provide the entire registration of the vehicle, however they believe the license plate contained the numbers 3 and 6.
Highland Park Police would like parents to take this opportunity to discuss with their children the precautions they should take while away from home, particularly when walking to and from school. They suggest to concentrate on the message of stranger awareness.
- Don’t talk to strangers who try to talk to you on the way home
- If the stranger continues trying to talk to you or stops the vehicle, run home or run to the nearest public place and immediately tell an adult what has happened
- Never walk up to a car of a stranger and NEVER go with a stranger
- It is best not to walk alone, walk with a friend or a group of students
- If you have a cell phone, call 911 immediately
- Try to remember as much as you can about the stranger and the vehicle
For questions or further information relating to this investigation contact the Highland Park Police Department at 847.432.7730.